The 46th Hastings Christmas Chess Festival was held at the end of the year 1970. Ten grandmasters and masters were invited to compete in a round robin format at the premier event. The notable participants of this edition included returning Hastings champion, Lajos Portish, former Hastings winners Svetozar Gligoric, Vlastimil Hort, and Wolfgang Uhlmann, American grandmaster Robert Byrne, and Soviet grandmaster Nikolai Krogius. Portisch made it two in a row by finishing undefeated with +3 at the final. An unusual instance at this tournament was the outcome of five players tied for second place at the final.
Previous: Hastings (1969/70). Next: Hastings (1971/72).
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 Pts
1 Portisch * ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ 1 ½ 1 1 6.0
=2 Uhlmann ½ * 1 0 1 ½ ½ ½ 0 1 5.0
=2 Markland ½ 0 * 1 ½ ½ 1 ½ ½ ½ 5.0
=2 Hort ½ 1 0 * ½ ½ 1 ½ ½ ½ 5.0
=2 Gligoric ½ 0 ½ ½ * ½ 1 ½ 1 ½ 5.0
=2 Krogius ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ * 0 ½ 1 1 5.0
7 Mestrovic 0 ½ 0 0 0 1 * 1 1 ½ 4.0
=8 Byrne ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ 0 * 0 ½ 3.5
=8 Wade 0 1 ½ ½ 0 0 0 1 * ½ 3.5
10 Keene 0 0 ½ ½ ½ 0 ½ ½ ½ * 3.0
Original collection: Game Collection: Hastings 1970/71, by User: suenteus po 147.
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
|1. Keene vs Robert E Byrne
|| ||½-½||30||1970||Hastings 1970/71||E07 Catalan, Closed|
|2. Portisch vs Krogius
|| ||½-½||44||1970||Hastings 1970/71||D35 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|3. Hort vs Gligoric
||½-½||39||1970||Hastings 1970/71||E88 King's Indian, Samisch, Orthodox, 7.d5 c6|
|4. Uhlmann vs P Markland
||1-0||28||1970||Hastings 1970/71||E11 Bogo-Indian Defense|
|5. Z Mestrovic vs Wade
||1-0||34||1970||Hastings 1970/71||C50 Giuoco Piano|
|6. Krogius vs Keene
||1-0||46||1970||Hastings 1970/71||E67 King's Indian, Fianchetto|
|7. Robert E Byrne vs Z Mestrovic
|| ||0-1||36||1970||Hastings 1970/71||B61 Sicilian, Richter-Rauzer, Larsen Variation, 7.Qd2|
|8. P Markland vs Portisch
|| ||½-½||39||1970||Hastings 1970/71||B09 Pirc, Austrian Attack|
|9. Gligoric vs Wade
||1-0||24||1970||Hastings 1970/71||E54 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3, Gligoric System|
|10. Hort vs Uhlmann
|| ||1-0||59||1970||Hastings 1970/71||C18 French, Winawer|
|11. Portisch vs Hort
|| ||½-½||40||1970||Hastings 1970/71||A56 Benoni Defense|
|12. Keene vs P Markland
|| ||½-½||38||1970||Hastings 1970/71||E16 Queen's Indian|
|13. Z Mestrovic vs Krogius
||1-0||44||1970||Hastings 1970/71||A45 Queen's Pawn Game|
|14. Wade vs Robert E Byrne
||1-0||43||1970||Hastings 1970/71||B25 Sicilian, Closed|
|15. Uhlmann vs Gligoric
||1-0||58||1970||Hastings 1970/71||E75 King's Indian, Averbakh, Main line|
|16. Hort vs Keene
|| ||½-½||24||1971||Hastings 1970/71||E43 Nimzo-Indian, Fischer Variation|
|17. Uhlmann vs Portisch
|| ||½-½||46||1971||Hastings 1970/71||A60 Benoni Defense|
|18. Krogius vs Wade
|| ||1-0||28||1971||Hastings 1970/71||E17 Queen's Indian|
|19. Gligoric vs Robert E Byrne
|| ||½-½||20||1971||Hastings 1970/71||D80 Grunfeld|
|20. P Markland vs Z Mestrovic
||1-0||18||1971||Hastings 1970/71||B00 Uncommon King's Pawn Opening|
|21. Keene vs Uhlmann
||0-1||52||1971||Hastings 1970/71||D74 Neo-Grunfeld, 6.cd Nxd5, 7.O-O|
|22. Z Mestrovic vs Hort
|| ||0-1||35||1971||Hastings 1970/71||A45 Queen's Pawn Game|
|23. Portisch vs Gligoric
|| ||½-½||40||1971||Hastings 1970/71||E92 King's Indian|
|24. Wade vs P Markland
|| ||½-½||30||1971||Hastings 1970/71||A30 English, Symmetrical|
|25. Robert E Byrne vs Krogius
|| ||½-½||36||1971||Hastings 1970/71||B81 Sicilian, Scheveningen, Keres Attack|
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
There is no kibitzing for this page, yet.
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC