|Anderssen - Paulsen Match (1862)|
London, England; July 1862
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Wins
Anderssen 1 ½ 0 0 ½ 0 1 1 4*
Paulsen 0 ½ 1 1 ½ 1 0 0 4
* Both parties retired and the match was declared a draw.(1)
Format: The first to five wins is the victor, draws not counting.
Dates for all games.
(1) The Chess Congress of 1862, Löwenthal, London 1864 p(lxxv)
Based on an original collection by User: TheFocus.
| page 1 of 1; 8 games
|Jan-13-16|| ||zanzibar: <The Congress had now entered on its eighth week, and
the Handicap still remained unfinished. The London
season was at an end, and but few cared to stay in town to
witness the remaining proceedings, the players, also, whose
contests were undecided, being seized with a wish for relaxation, after two months devoted to Chess play. By common
consent, the Handicap was adjourned until a few weeks'
repose in the country should re-invigorate their powers. The
members of the London Chess Club, however, not satiated
with all that had taken place, were desirous of testing the
relative strength of Messrs. Anderssen and Paulsen, and of
Messrs. Dubois and Steinitz. They therefore instituted two
matches between the respective parties, for a stake of £10
in each case, the winners of five games to be winners respectively.
The result of these interesting contests was as follows :—
Anderssen . 3 Paulsen . 3 Drawn . 2>
From Lowenthal <London Chess Congress (1862)> p lxxv
|Jan-13-16|| ||zanzibar: This is from the same page:
<Mr. Steinitz therefore won his match, but the struggle
beween Messrs. Anderssen and Paulsen was not brought to
a conclusion, owing to the desire of both players to return
to the Continent. It was therefore considered a drawn
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: Create an account today
to post replies and access other powerful features which are available only to registered users.
Becoming a member is free, anonymous, and takes less than 1 minute! If you already have a username,
then simply login login under your username now to join the discussion.
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, or profane language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate, or gibberish posts.
- No vitriolic or systematic personal attacks against other members.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No cyberstalking or malicious posting of negative or private information (doxing/doxxing) of members.
- No trolling.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by moderators, create a false impression of consensus or support, or stage conversations, is prohibited.
- Do not degrade Chessgames or any of it's staff/volunteers.
Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Please keep all discussion on-topic.
This forum is for this specific tournament only. To discuss chess or this site in general,
visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members
do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors.
All moderator actions taken are ultimately at the sole discretion of the administration.
Copyright 2001-2021, Chessgames Services LLC