|Stockholm Interzonal Playoff (1962)|
Six players from the Stockholm Interzonal (1962) would qualify for the Curacao Candidates (1962). But sixth place had been shared between Stein, Benkö and Gligoric, and a playoff was necessary. This took place in Stockholm as a double round robin right after the interzonal tournament. Should Stein win the playoff he would be only reserve for his countrymen, as each country was allowed to have only three players in the Candidates tournament. The player placed no. 2 in the playoff would then qualify. (1)
Gligoric started with two losses, and after the fifth game he could not catch up with the other two players. The sixth game was not played. (2)
Stockholm, Sweden, 9-13 March 1962
Benkö advanced to the Curacao Candidates (1962).
1 Stein ** ˝˝ 11 3
2 Benkö ˝˝ ** 1- 2
3 Gligoric 00 0- ** 0
1) The Times, 8 March 1962, p. 17.
2) British Chess Magazine, May 1962, p. 134.
Original collection: Game Collection: Stockholm Interzonal Playoff 1962 by User: Tabanus. Thanks to User: TheFocus for information from the British Chess Magazine. Dates are from Dutch newspapers at http://kranten.delpher.nl/ and a notice in The Times, 13 March 1962, p. 12.
| page 1 of 1; 5 games
There is no kibitzing for this page, yet.
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC