|US Championship (1991)|
The 1991 United States Chess Championship was held in Los Angeles, California from July 28th to August 9th. The participants included:|
Lev Alburt; Joel Benjamin; Walter Shawn Browne; Maxim Dlugy; Roman Dzindzichashvili; John Fedorowicz; Boris Gulko; Ilya M Gurevich; Alexander Ivanov; Igor Vasilievich Ivanov; Gata Kamsky; Sergey Kudrin; Michael Rohde; Yasser Seirawan; Patrick Wolff; Alex Yermolinsky.
The tournament used a knockout format. Contestants played a two game mini-match at classical time controls. If this was drawn, another two games were played with a Game/30 time limit. If the match was still tied, it went to sudden death with a G/15 time limit where the first victory decided the match. The final match for the championship began with four games at a classical time limit with playoffs to follow if necessary.
All available games are included in this collection; some of the playoff games were not recorded.
In the preliminary round, classical games were played on Sunday, July 28 and Monday, July 29 with playoff games on Tuesday, July 30.
Class. G/30 G/15
Gulko 1 1
Browne 0 0
Wolff ½ ½ 1 1
Rhode ½ ½ 0 0
Fedorowicz ½ 1
Yemolinsky ½ 0
Kamsky ½ 1
Gurevich ½ 0
Benjamin 1 ½
Dzindzihasvili 0 ½
Seirawan ½ ½ 0 1 ½ ½ ½ ½ 1
Ivanov, I ½ ½ 1 0 ½ ½ ½ ½ 0
(The first three G/15 playoff games were not recorded.)
Ivanov, A 1 1
Kudrin 0 0
In the quarterfinal round, classical games were played on Wednesday, July 31 and Thursday, August 1 with playoff games on Friday, August 2.
Dlugy 0 1 0 1 1
Alburt 1 0 1 0 0
(The G/15 playoff game was not recorded.)
Class. G/30 G/15
Wolff 1 0 1 ½
Fedorowicz 0 1 0 ½
Gulko ½ ½ 1 0 1
Dlugy ½ ½ 0 1 0
Benjamin ½ ½ 0 1 1
Seirawan ½ ½ 1 0 0
In the semifinal round, classical games were played on Saturday, August 3 and Sunday, August 4. Playoff games were scheduled for Monday, August 5, but were not necessary.
Kamsky 1 ½
Ivanov, A 0 ½
Benjamin ½ 1
Gulko ½ 0
In the Championship Finals, classical games were played from Tuesday, August 6 to Friday, August 9. No playoff games were needed.
Kamsky 1 1
Fedorowicz 0 0
This collection is based on Game Collection: US Championship 1991, by <suenteus po 147>, to which were added information and a few games from the <U.S. Open/U.S. Championship Bulletins> edited by M Ishee, Ronald Burnett, and Andrew Mongin.
Kamsky 1 0 1 ½
Benjamin 0 1 0 ½
Original collection: Game Collection: US Championship 1991, by User: Phony Benoni; based on Game Collection: US Championship 1991, by User: suenteus po 147.
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 48
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 48
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any gratuitous name-calling
of any members—including Admin and Owners—or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2020, Chessgames Services LLC