|3rd Euwe Memorial (1989)|
The third Max Euwe Memorial Chess Tournament was organized by the Verenigde Spaarbank (VSB) and held in Amsterdam, the Netherlands from March 16th to the 23rd, 1989. Following the pre-established format, four of the world's best grandmasters were invited to compete in the double round robin event. This year's participants included (in order of Elo): British grandmaster and winner of the previous year's memorial tournament Nigel Short (2650), Soviet grandmaster and former Soviet champion Valery Salov (2630), Icelandic grandmaster Johann Hjartarson (2615) and Dutch grandmaster and co-winner of the inaugural memorial tournament Jan Timman (2610). The average of the combined ratings of the four players made this year's event Category XVI. Despite the top competition, Timman won this tournament beautifully due in large part to a three game winning streak begun in the second round. Salov fought desperately to upset the sole leader in the final round, but Timman held him off. It was vindication for the Dutch grandmaster after his abysmal showing at the previous year's event. The final standings and crosstable are as follows:
The 2nd Euwe Memorial (1988) and 4th Euwe Memorial (1990) were the previous and next tournaments in this series.
1 Timman ** ½1 1½ 1½ 4½
2 Short ½0 ** ½1 11 4
3 Salov 0½ ½0 ** 11 3
4 Hjartarson 0½ 00 00 ** ½
Original collection: Game Collection: Amsterdam VSB 1989, by User: suenteus po 147.
| page 1 of 1; 12 games
|1. Hjartarson vs Salov
|| ||0-1||37||1989||3rd Euwe Memorial||E32 Nimzo-Indian, Classical|
|2. Short vs Timman
|| ||½-½||41||1989||3rd Euwe Memorial||C11 French|
|3. Timman vs Salov
|| ||1-0||46||1989||3rd Euwe Memorial||B81 Sicilian, Scheveningen, Keres Attack|
|4. Short vs Hjartarson
|| ||1-0||48||1989||3rd Euwe Memorial||C95 Ruy Lopez, Closed, Breyer|
|5. Salov vs Short
|| ||½-½||45||1989||3rd Euwe Memorial||E06 Catalan, Closed, 5.Nf3|
|6. Hjartarson vs Timman
|| ||0-1||50||1989||3rd Euwe Memorial||B18 Caro-Kann, Classical|
|7. Timman vs Short
|| ||1-0||42||1989||3rd Euwe Memorial||E10 Queen's Pawn Game|
|8. Salov vs Hjartarson
|| ||1-0||55||1989||3rd Euwe Memorial||A56 Benoni Defense|
|9. Short vs Salov
|| ||1-0||27||1989||3rd Euwe Memorial||C42 Petrov Defense|
|10. Timman vs Hjartarson
|| ||½-½||30||1989||3rd Euwe Memorial||E06 Catalan, Closed, 5.Nf3|
|11. Hjartarson vs Short
|| ||0-1||40||1989||3rd Euwe Memorial||A21 English|
|12. Salov vs Timman
|| ||½-½||61||1989||3rd Euwe Memorial||D02 Queen's Pawn Game|
There is no kibitzing for this page, yet.
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC