The seventh annual Hastings Chess Congress met at the end of the year of 1926 to conduct a round robin tournament. Ten players were invited to compete, including Savielly Tartakower, Richard Réti, Edgar Colle, George Alan Thomas, Frederick D Yates, George Marshall Norman, Edward G Sergeant, Reginald Pryce Michell, Victor Berger, and Alfred Teller. |
Hastings, England, 28 December 1926 - 6 January 19271
This collection would not have been possible without <refutor>, who has my eternal gratitude.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 Pts
1 Tartakower * = 0 = 1 1 1 1 1 1 7.0
2 Colle = * 1 1 0 = = 1 = 1 6.0
3 Yates 1 0 * 0 1 = 1 1 0 1 5.5
4 Norman = 0 1 * = 0 0 1 1 1 5.0
5 Réti 0 1 0 = * = 0 1 1 1 5.0
6 Sergeant 0 = = 1 = * 1 0 0 1 4.5
7 Teller 0 = 0 1 1 0 * 0 = 1 4.0
8 Berger 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 * 1 1 4.0
9 Thomas 0 = 1 0 0 1 = 0 * 0 3.0
10 Michell 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 * 1.0
Hastings (1925/26) and Hastings (1927/28) were the previous and next annual tournaments in this city.
1 Battles of Hastings (R. Cload, 1991), p. 124; Rounds and game dates from Saunders, <Britbase> download link: http://www.saund.co.uk/britbase/pgn....
Original collection: Game Collection: Hastings 1926/27, by
User: suenteus po 147.
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
|1. G A Thomas vs R P Michell
|| ||0-1||34||1926||Hastings 1926/27||A28 English|
|2. A Teller vs Colle
|| ||½-½||41||1926||Hastings 1926/27||E12 Queen's Indian|
|3. Tartakower vs E G Sergeant
||1-0||24||1926||Hastings 1926/27||C47 Four Knights|
|4. G Norman vs Yates
|| ||1-0||88||1926||Hastings 1926/27||E10 Queen's Pawn Game|
|5. V Berger vs Reti
|| ||0-1||28||1926||Hastings 1926/27||E73 King's Indian|
|6. Yates vs V Berger
|| ||1-0||29||1926||Hastings 1926/27||B83 Sicilian|
|7. Reti vs G A Thomas
|| ||1-0||84||1926||Hastings 1926/27||A09 Reti Opening|
|8. G Norman vs E G Sergeant
|| ||0-1||22||1926||Hastings 1926/27||E11 Bogo-Indian Defense|
|9. R P Michell vs A Teller
|| ||0-1||69||1926||Hastings 1926/27||C99 Ruy Lopez, Closed, Chigorin, 12...cd|
|10. Colle vs Tartakower
|| ||½-½||38||1926||Hastings 1926/27||A82 Dutch, Staunton Gambit|
|11. E G Sergeant vs Colle
||½-½||34||1926||Hastings 1926/27||B03 Alekhine's Defense|
|12. Tartakower vs R P Michell
||1-0||55||1926||Hastings 1926/27||C47 Four Knights|
|13. V Berger vs G Norman
|| ||0-1||40||1926||Hastings 1926/27||A52 Budapest Gambit|
|14. G A Thomas vs Yates
||1-0||52||1926||Hastings 1926/27||A04 Reti Opening|
|15. A Teller vs Reti
||1-0||57||1926||Hastings 1926/27||D74 Neo-Grunfeld, 6.cd Nxd5, 7.O-O|
|16. R P Michell vs E G Sergeant
|| ||0-1||28||1926||Hastings 1926/27||D63 Queen's Gambit Declined, Orthodox Defense|
|17. V Berger vs G A Thomas
||1-0||21||1926||Hastings 1926/27||D30 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|18. Colle vs G Norman
||1-0||20||1926||Hastings 1926/27||D05 Queen's Pawn Game|
|19. Yates vs A Teller
|| ||1-0||32||1926||Hastings 1926/27||B32 Sicilian|
|20. Reti vs Tartakower
||0-1||45||1926||Hastings 1926/27||D37 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|21. A Teller vs V Berger
|| ||0-1||48||1927||Hastings 1926/27||D52 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|22. Tartakower vs Yates
|| ||0-1||78||1927||Hastings 1926/27||C01 French, Exchange|
|23. E G Sergeant vs Reti
|| ||½-½||38||1927||Hastings 1926/27||B05 Alekhine's Defense, Modern|
|24. G Norman vs G A Thomas
|| ||1-0||55||1927||Hastings 1926/27||D57 Queen's Gambit Declined, Lasker Defense|
|25. Colle vs R P Michell
||1-0||61||1927||Hastings 1926/27||D05 Queen's Pawn Game|
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any gratuitous name-calling
of any members—including Admin and Owners—or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC