The Caissars: Thanks to everybody for participating in the 2017 Caissars! I will report the results of your voting below. I will note runner-ups for some categories, at my whim.
<The envelope please...>
1. The winner of BEST AVATAR is User: Phony Benoni with his classic "Beaker" muppet.
2. The winner of BEST USERNAME is User: WorstPlayerEver.
3. The winner of MOST HELPFUL is User: Phony Benoni.
4. The BEST POST is Carlsen vs Bu Xiangzhi, 2017 (kibitz #30) that began < Definitely. There were masters in the past that I believe were better defenders than Carlsen (such as Lasker, Capablanca, and Petrosian). (Having said that, I believe that Carlsen IS the best defender in the world, currently, together with Karjakin.) >
The runner-up is Fischer - Spassky World Championship Match (1972) (kibitz #547) which ends <So excuse me for not believing that Fischer was inordinately sensitive to noise and, if he was, that he was aware of the source of the noise. I think that, when taken together with the rest of his antics, it was a deliberate attempt to upset Spassky. Which succeeded.>
5. The BEST OFFTOPIC POST is a tie between jessicafischerqueen chessforum (kibitz #33411) <Boomie: *Chessgames Premium Memberships cost only 8 hours a day.*> and Robert James Fischer (kibitz #56735) DarthStapler's <EPIC RAP BATTLES OF CHESS HISTORY! PAUL MORPHY VS BOBBY FISCHER!>.
6. The FUNNIEST POSTER is User: offramp.
7. The MOST CONSTRUCTIVE members are a tie between User: YouRang and User: WinKing. User: Golden Executive gets an honorable mention.
8. The BEST GAME COLLECTION is Sneaky's Game Collection: Crazy Rooks followed by a notable runner-up, Phony Benoni's Game Collection: Game of the Day & Puzzle of the Day Collections.
9. The MOST INFORMED is User: Phony Benoni followed by runner-up User: cro777.
10. The BEST HISTORIAN is User: Tabanus with both MissScarlett and Chessical as notable runner-ups.
11. The PLAYER OF THE YEAR is Levon Aronian, with an interesting runner-up of AlphaZero (Computer).
12. The BEST(WORST) PUN OF THE YEAR is a massive three-way tie between three equally great (awful) attempts at word-wit: Olland vs J Esser, 1901 "Spanish Haarlem", Hoang Nam Nguyen vs Duc Hoa Nguyen, 2012 "Nguyen-Nguyen Situation", and Gulko vs Chiburdanidze, 1978 "Sinko de Maia".
13. The MOVE OF THE YEAR is the illegal 27...Ne3+ from the kerfuffle at the end of Carlsen vs E Inarkiev, 2017.
14. The GAME OF THE YEAR is a tie between
J Bai vs Ding Liren, 2017
and again, Google's DeepMind AI project
AlphaZero vs Stockfish, 2017
Contgratulations to all the winners, great work to Phony for stealing the show. Thanks again for your participation. Looking forward to see what 2018 will bring us. See you all next year!