As part of the New Zealand International Festival of the Arts and to mark the opening of the Plaza International Hotel in Wellington, this International tournament was organized by
Alan Grant Kerr.|
Six overseas players, Boris Spassky, Robert Huebner, Ian Rogers, Eduard Gufeld, Zsuzsa Polgar and Larry M Christiansen were invited to pit their skills against New Zealand players Murray Chandler, Ortvin Sarapu, Jonathan D Sarfati, Vernon Albert Small, Russell John Dive and Anthony F Ker.
The tournament took place in the Plaza International Hotel from the 15th to the 28th of March. The Director Of Play was Robert Gibbons. All rounds were scheduled to take place daily from 1:30 pm to 7:30 pm except Round 11 which started an hour earlier. Admission fee for spectators was ten dollars per day.
*Huebner withdrew with illness after his first round game with Ian Rogers.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
1 Spassky * ½ 1 1 ½ 1 ½ ½ 1 1 ½ 7½
2 Chandler ½ * ½ ½ ½ ½ 1 1 1 1 1 7½
3 Gufeld 0 ½ * ½ ½ 1 1 1 1 1 1 7½
4 Polgar 0 ½ ½ * 1 0 1 ½ 1 1 1 6½
5 Rogers ½ ½ ½ 0 * 0 1 1 1 1 1 6½
6 Christiansen 0 ½ 0 1 1 * ½ ½ ½ 1 1 6
7 Sarfati ½ 0 0 0 0 ½ * ½ ½ 1 1 4
8 Sarapu ½ 0 0 ½ 0 ½ ½ * ½ 0 ½ 3
9 Small 0 0 0 0 0 ½ ½ ½ * ½ 1 3
10 Dive 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 ½ * ½ 2
11 Ker ½ 0 0 0 0 0 0 ½ 0 ½ * 1½
Huebner* - - - - 0 - - - - - - 0
Game Of The Round prizes were awarded to:
Round 1 - Rogers for his win over Huebner
Round 2 - Spassky for his win over Polgar
Round 3 - Spassky for his win over Dive
Round 4 - Christiansen and Sarfati for their draw
Round 5 - Rogers for his win over Small
Round 6 - Christiansen for his win over Dive
Round 7 - Spassky for his win over Christiansen
Round 8 - Ker and Spassky for their draw
Round 9 - Spassky for his win over Gufeld
Round 10 - Chandler and Dive jointly
Round 11 - Christiansen for his win over Ker, and Rogers for his win over Sarapu
The source for this collection was the tournament bulletins.
Original Collection: Game Collection: Plaza International Chess Tt 1988 by User: Benzol.
| page 1 of 3; games 1-25 of 56
|1. Chandler vs O Sarapu
||1-0||32||1988||Plaza||C92 Ruy Lopez, Closed|
|2. J Sarfati vs Spassky
||½-½||20||1988||Plaza||E70 King's Indian|
|3. I Rogers vs Huebner
||1-0||39||1988||Plaza||B90 Sicilian, Najdorf|
|4. Zsuzsa Polgar vs R J Dive
||1-0||36||1988||Plaza||A46 Queen's Pawn Game|
|5. A F Ker vs V Small
|| ||0-1||70||1988||Plaza||D85 Grunfeld|
|6. Gufeld vs L Christiansen
||1-0||74||1988||Plaza||C92 Ruy Lopez, Closed|
|7. A F Ker vs Gufeld
|| ||0-1||42||1988||Plaza||E84 King's Indian, Samisch, Panno Main line|
|8. V Small vs R J Dive
|| ||½-½||20||1988||Plaza||C24 Bishop's Opening|
|9. Spassky vs Zsuzsa Polgar
||1-0||42||1988||Plaza||C31 King's Gambit Declined, Falkbeer Counter Gambit|
|10. O Sarapu vs J Sarfati
|| ||½-½||29||1988||Plaza||C77 Ruy Lopez|
|11. L Christiansen vs I Rogers
||1-0||24||1988||Plaza||A52 Budapest Gambit|
|12. R J Dive vs Spassky
||0-1||51||1988||Plaza||E59 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3, Main line|
|13. Chandler vs L Christiansen
|| ||½-½||50||1988||Plaza||C67 Ruy Lopez|
|14. I Rogers vs A F Ker
|| ||1-0||43||1988||Plaza||B16 Caro-Kann, Bronstein-Larsen Variation|
|15. Zsuzsa Polgar vs O Sarapu
|| ||½-½||22||1988||Plaza||D37 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|16. Gufeld vs V Small
|| ||1-0||58||1988||Plaza||A37 English, Symmetrical|
|17. L Christiansen vs J Sarfati
||½-½||62||1988||Plaza||A57 Benko Gambit|
|18. Gufeld vs I Rogers
|| ||½-½||55||1988||Plaza||D76 Neo-Grunfeld, 6.cd Nxd5, 7.O-O Nb6|
|19. A F Ker vs Chandler
|| ||0-1||36||1988||Plaza||E32 Nimzo-Indian, Classical|
|20. O Sarapu vs R J Dive
|| ||0-1||22||1988||Plaza||C43 Petrov, Modern Attack|
|21. V Small vs Spassky
|22. J Sarfati vs A F Ker
|23. Zsuzsa Polgar vs L Christiansen
||0-1||58||1988||Plaza||E11 Bogo-Indian Defense|
|24. Spassky vs O Sarapu
|| ||½-½||41||1988||Plaza||A07 King's Indian Attack|
|25. I Rogers vs V Small
||1-0||41||1988||Plaza||B46 Sicilian, Taimanov Variation|
| page 1 of 3; games 1-25 of 56
There is no kibitzing for this page, yet.
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC