A summary of the tournament in Wiener Schach-Zeitung 10 (May 1924) pp. 153-154 can be found online at http://anno.onb.ac.at/cgi-content/a.... The tournament continued the success of Weston (1922) with a mixture of British players and a few foreign masters, this time the young Euwe from Holland and the French-Russian master Znosko-Borovsky. Located in idyllic surroundings (Wikipedia article: Weston-super-Mare) it attracted the best English players, except Fred Dewhirst Yates who was playing in New York (1924). It was planned that Weston and Hastings should take turns to hold a chess festival during the Easter week each year.
The games were played as scheduled: April 19: rounds 1 and 2, 20 (Sunday): rest day, 21: rounds 3 and 4, 22: round 5, 23: round 6, 24: rounds 7 and 8, April 25 (Friday): round 9. Adjourned games were played in the afternoon, between the morning and evening session, and on April 26. They also found time for a simul by Znosko-Borovsky (April 22, +20 =6 -2), a Lightning Tourney (April 23, won by Chris Sullivan) and a Quick Play Tourney (April 26, won by Duffield).
The Dutch champion won by defeating Spencer in the last round, while Sir George Thomas drew. In addition to the Major tournament there was an Open (won by Richard Edward Lean), and also First, Second and Third Class tourneys, each with A and B sections.
Weston-super-Mare, England, 19-26 April 1924
Tournament book: Hastings 1923/4, Weston-super-Mare 1924 by A. J. Gillam (Chess Player, 1995).
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
1 Euwe * ½ 1 1 ½ 1 1 ½ 1 1 7½
2 Thomas ½ * ½ 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 7
3 Znosko-Borovsky 0 ½ * 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 6½
4 Spencer 0 1 0 * 0 ½ 1 1 1 1 5½
5 Drewitt ½ 0 0 1 * ½ ½ 1 ½ 1 5
=6 Duffield 0 0 1 ½ ½ * 0 0 1 ½ 3½
=6 Blake 0 0 0 0 ½ 1 * 0 1 1 3½
8 Bolland ½ 0 0 0 0 1 1 * ½ 0 3
9 Mackenzie 0 0 0 0 ½ 0 0 ½ * 1 2
10 Wainwright 0 0 0 0 0 ½ 0 1 0 * 1½
The game A J Mackenzie vs G Wainwright, 1924 is given a draw in Wiener Schach-Zeitung and the Dutch newspaper Het Vaderland. But Mackenzie (did find 47.f6! and) won that adjourned game, as reported in Western Daily Press and The Times.
Original collection: Game Collection: Weston 1924 by User: Tabanus.
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
There is no kibitzing for this page, yet.
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC